CREOLE RICE & ANDOUILLE
Recipe & picture from: Kroger's My Magazine
- 1 c
- short grain brown rice, uncooked
- 2 c
- low sodium chicken broth - or water
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- onion, finely chopped
- 1 large
- green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 can(s)
- (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- each, basil and thyme
- 1/8 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pkg
- (12 oz.) cooked andouille sausage, cut into rounds
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make CREOLE RICE & ANDOUILLE
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine the rice with broth or water. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 50 minutes; remove from heat and steam for 10 minutes.
- 2In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes; add garlic, tomatoes, herbs, pepper flakes and sausage. Heat through.
- 3Spoon over rice and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- 4NOTE: You may also add 3/4 pound raw, cleaned shrimp, sauteed in 1 tbsp. butter for 3 to 4 minutes and add to sausage mixture.
Or you may add 1 cup cooked chicken to sausage mixture.