Christmas Blood Pudding Sausage
I know most of you people will go, "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW," but they really are delicious.
When we would have a sausage making parties in November this is one of the sausages we would make.
I suggest you spread a large heavy plastic sheet on your kitchen floor away from the stove. Sit on the plastic on the floor & stuff the casing.
It takes 3 people to help. One to cook & 2 to help stuff, tie & cut.
Brew a great pot of coffee or some wonderful wine & some fabulous hors d'oeuvres ready for when you're ready for a break.
1 galcertified beef blood
4onions, finely chopped
2 lbpork loin or lean shoulder with the bone
1 lbsalt pork
1 1/2 can(s)ground marjoram (7/8 oz. size)
·salt and pepper to taste
1 pkgof castings
How to Make Christmas Blood Pudding Sausage
- Wear OLD clothing..always when making this. I do this while I am barefoot. If you can get a rubber apron...do!
Wash the casting in cold water and set aside in ice water in the refrig.
In the morning cook the pork roast in enough water to cover, along with the salt pork until pork roast is done. Remove the pork roast and the salt pork. RESERVE THE PORK BROTH.
Chop the pork finely and set aside.
- Measure out the pork broth and add water so you have enough broth to cook the Barley 3/4 of the way.
- Once the Barley is cooked 3/4 of the way..take off stove and add the pork. Stir in evenly. Cool.
- Saute' the onions in a little butter, or ham fat (if you have any saved in the freezer). When cooled, add to the Barley and pork. Stir it in evenly. Add the salt, pepper, and Marjoram. Stir till evenly disturbed.
- Once the Barley, pork, and onion are throughly cooled, place it in the refrig till it is cold thoroughly. You may have to stir it so the bottom and the middle get cold.
- Strain the blood several times through a cheese cloth into a very large bowl.
I know it sounds horrible and the first time I helped make it I had to leave the room. I cried and it almost made me a Vegan.
NEVER STIR HOT OR WARM INTO THE BLOOD!!!! I can't stress it enough!
This is why the Barley mixture is set in the refrig to get cold thoroughly.
- Mix the Barley mixture into the blood thoroughly.
- Have your washed casings ready and a 8 quart pan of water boiling. Add some SALT.
- To stuff the casing this is what I do. I once used a machine with a sausage stuffer attachment it doesn't work with blood sausage.
Have a large plastic funnel and cut just a bit of the end off. Have a piece of dolling (sp) big enough, but not so it will fit in the funnel hole.
- Hold the funnel and place it the casing over the hole. Fill the funnel with the blood sausage mixture and using a pulsating motion to move the mixture from the funnel into the casing. When you have made the size sausage you want tie it off with butchers string or knot the casing itself. Cut.
- Repeat process. When you have enough finished to fix the pan of salted boiling water, place the sausage in. Turn the water so it is not a hard boil, but still boiling. Prick the sausage as they boil with a Darning needle.
- When there is not blood or yuck coming out, gently lift the sausage out and place on a rack over a cookie sheeet.
- Repeat process until finished.
- My favorite way of cooking Blood Sausage is with the Ham or a pork roast.