LOOZIANNA CAJUN "TURTLE-BURGERS"
A R Caswell
If you can't cook or can't make these yourself, ask someone who can and beg!
These are cute when served on a plate of dirty rice and surrounded by a bed of leafy greens or lettuce.
This is also a fun project to get kids into the kitchen. Prepping and eating!
- 2 lb
- ground beef, ***do not use lean
- 1 lb
- thin sliced bacon, uncooked
- 2-6 tsp
- tony chachere's original creole seasoning
- 4 slice
- sharp cheddar cheese slices
- 2 pkg
- hot dogs/wieners
- 1 box
- wooden toothpicks
How to Make LOOZIANNA CAJUN "TURTLE-BURGERS"
- 1*PRE HEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES.
Season 2 pounds of ground beef with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. You could also use the lower salt or salt free versions. The spice is what is needed.
About 1-3 teaspoons per pound, but adjust according to your family's taste and salt requirements or restrictions.
- 2After seasoning, pat out by hand, the ground beef patties, about 8 ounces each, and form into oval turtle shell shapes.
- 3Slice each hotdog in half lengthwise. Then cut each hotdog in half. Use 1/2 a hotdog for each head, tail, and leg, cutting slits into the ends of the "legs" to make the turtle "toes" and insert them into the turtle body patty.
Use the wooden toothpicks to hold the head, legs, and tail in place.
- 4Top each one with one slice of sharp cheddar cheese.
Place flat on platter and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Remove from refrigerator and wrap and weave each patty with bacon strips to enclose the cheese slice and form the shell.
Use toothpicks to hold the strips of bacon if needed. The wood toothpicks should hold the head, legs, and tail in place.
- 6Place on a rack in a 2" deep baking pan/dish which has been lined with foil.
*It's better if you place them on a rack, so that the excess grease drains off while the turtle-burgers bake.
It also makes the turtle shells crunchy.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the patties.
- 8Remove from oven and let rest on a platter for 10 minutes prior to serving.
- 9These a cute when served on a plate of dirty rice and surrounded by a bed of leafy green lettuce.
- 10A little crispy-crunchy... kind of spicy... just how a good turtle-burger should be!
I'm talkin' bout good, yeah!!!