BE SURE TO READ THIS RECIPE ALL THE WAY THROUGH BEFORE YOU BEGIN.
How to Make Breakfast Sausage
- 1You will need some type of meat grinder to do this.
Assemble all the ingredients and utensils you will need. This will make your life much easier.
You may want to cut a few boneless pork chops off this loin if it weighs more then 5 lbs. Cut thick (about 2 inches) for stuffed pork chops (just cut a little pocket in the middle for stuffing) or butterfly pork chop which are cut thick then sliced almost in half and opened up to make the butterfly. Cut thin for breakfast chops or about an inch thick for regular chops.
TO PREPARE FOR GRINDER
Cut pork into a sizes that will easily fit into the mouth of your grinder.
- 2Measure and all the dry ingredients and mix them together in on container. Add add a little at a time as you grind the pork.
Keep your lard on ice after you cut it into cubes so you can add it a little at time also as you grind the meat.
- 3After the meat and ingredients are ground add the water and mix by hand.
PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST AN 8QT BOWL OR LARGE MOUTH CONTAINER TO MIX. YOU WILL ALSO WANT TO WEAR GLOVES BECAUSE THE MEAT MIXTURE IS COLD AND THE GLOVES WILL PROTECT YOUR HANDS AS WELL AS BEING MORE SANITARY.
- 4Mix well and divide into 1 pound packages. I use a vacuum sealer for this but wrapping it tightly and putting into a freezer bag works too. You just can't keep it as long. Put packages into your refrigerator overnight or at least 8 hours and then freeze.
- 5Some of you will be tempted to omit the sugar from this recipe. DON'T. If you do the sausage will not brown.
Some will be tempted not to add the lard. If you don't the sausage will be dry and not very tasty.
If you follow this recipe you will have award winning pork sausage. I know because I won awards with it. I hope you will try it and let me know what you think.
- 6With cheap sausage at $3.00 and up per pound it just makes sense to make your own if you can. I buy pork loin on sale in 8lb. - 15 lbs. and make my own chops and sausage. Price the cuts of boneless chops this is what they are made from. Pork loin in bulk here ranges from $1.59 to $1.99 a pound. You can make this sausage for under $2.50 a pound and it is of the highest quality. THE BEST PART. YOU KNOW WHAT IS IN IT.