How to Make BRATKARTOFFELN MIT SPECK
- Scrub whole potatoes and cook in salted water until they can easily be pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes. Let cool and peel while still warm. They can be cooked several hours ahead.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and cook in a large skillet until limp but not crisp. Remove from pan but keep the grease in pan. Add the butter and melt, but don't brown.
- Slice the cold potatoes into 1/4-inch slices and place in a single layer in the hot grease. Place any extra potatoes on top of the first layer.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the onions and bacon and let them cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn them when the underside becomes brown--but don't stir them.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, caraway seed, and marjoram and cook 10 to 15 more minutes. Add more butter if necessary to facilitate browning.
- NOTE: In Deutschland, these potatoes are traditionally served with fried eggs, pickles and a green salad.