Black Bean Soup with Smoked Kielbasa Sausage
Rose Mary Mogan
I decided to make something that was healthier and full of fiber.
I love Black Bean Soup, but had never made it for my husband, I wasn't sure if he would like it or not.
But he ate more than I did, he loved it & remarked when he came thru the door from work how great it smelled.
I added lots of vegetables & cumin, & Mesquite spices to build on the flavors. It was thick and rich and so comforting, not to mention how flavorful & tasty it was. Try it with sour cream
- 2 lb
- dry black beans,washed & picked through for sand pebbles
- 4 stalk(s)
- celery, chopped
- 2 large
- onions, chopped
- 6 clove
- garlic, minced or chopped
- 4 large
- carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2-4 small
- sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 1/2 lb
- smoked kielbasa sausage ( or choice of your favorite)
- 2 tsp
- coarse black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- mesquite fijata spice mix (or liquid smoke if desired)
- garnish- chopped onion, salsa, sweet peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, or jalapeno peppers as desired
- bay leaves (remove before serving)
How to Make Black Bean Soup with Smoked Kielbasa Sausage
- 1Pick through dry beans, for rocks or sand pebbles & debris, then wash and add to a large pot, cover with water, cover with a tight fitting lid, and bring to a rolling boil, and boil for about 15 to 20 minutes, then lower heat to a simmer and continue to cook until beans are soft and tender, about 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours till liquid is thick and rich. Add more water as needed to keep beans covered.