Ultimate Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
1 lbdry macaroni
4 cwhole milk
6 Tbspall purpose flour
·salt and pepper to taste
12 ozgrated or shredded gruyere cheese
4 cgrated or shredded new york sharp cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
How to Make Ultimate Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- Bring large pot of unsalted water to a boil and cook macaroni just until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water. Drain again and set aside. (I use unsalted water because cheese is naturally salty. You can always use a little salt once it is on your plate if it's not salty enough for your taste.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring milk just to a boil in heavy saucepan (remove the second it starts to boil to prevent scalding) and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another saucepan and add flour. Whisk over low heat for 5 minutes. Do not brown.
- Remove from heat and add hot milk to flour mixture. Whisk well. Add 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Return pan to heat. Cook over medium heat whisking constantly until thickened – about 5 minutes. Do not brown.
- Remove from heat. Butter a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish. Fill it evenly with macaroni and sauce.
- Distribute the grated cheeses evenly over macaroni, sprinkle with black pepper and additional paprika.
- Place dish on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, until hot – 20 to 25 minutes. Place under broiler until top is slightly golden and bubbly – 3 or 4 minutes.