Ultimate Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb
- dry macaroni
- 4 c
- whole milk
- 4 Tbsp
- 6 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz
- grated or shredded gruyere cheese
- 4 c
- grated or shredded new york sharp cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
How to Make Ultimate Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1Bring large pot of unsalted water to a boil and cook macaroni just until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water. Drain again and set aside. (I use unsalted water because cheese is naturally salty. You can always use a little salt once it is on your plate if it's not salty enough for your taste.)
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Bring milk just to a boil in heavy saucepan (remove the second it starts to boil to prevent scalding) and set aside.
- 4Meanwhile, melt butter in another saucepan and add flour. Whisk over low heat for 5 minutes. Do not brown.
- 5Remove from heat and add hot milk to flour mixture. Whisk well. Add 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Return pan to heat. Cook over medium heat whisking constantly until thickened – about 5 minutes. Do not brown.
- 6Remove from heat. Butter a 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish. Fill it evenly with macaroni and sauce.
- 7Distribute the grated cheeses evenly over macaroni, sprinkle with black pepper and additional paprika.
- 8Place dish on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, until hot – 20 to 25 minutes. Place under broiler until top is slightly golden and bubbly – 3 or 4 minutes.