- 1 pkg
- ground turkey, 97/3
- 1 1/2 c
- panko crumbs, divided
- 1 large
- 3 tsp
- sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp
- italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 can(s)
- tomato sauce, 28 oz
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, minced
- 5 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 tsp
- basil, dried
- 1 tsp
- ground white pepper
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
How to Make Turkey Meatballs and pasta sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350*
Preheat heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 2Mix the ground turkey, half a cup of the panko crumbs, the egg, 1 teaspoon of the sea salt, red pepper and Italian seasoning until well mixed.
- 3Stir together the remaining panko crumbs and sea salt on a plate.
- 4Shape the meat into slightly smaller than golf ball size balls, one at a time. As you form each ball, roll it in the panko crumbs and set on a plate.
Repeat until all the meat is used.
- 5Swirl the vegetable oil around the pan, to cover the bottom.
- 6Add the meatballs to the pan one at a time, with a little space between each one. Cook on one side for two minutes, then turn them and cook another 2 minutes. They should be light golden brown on both sides. If they start getting too brown, remove from the pan and place on a cookie sheet.
- 7Once all the meatballs are browned, place them on the cookie sheet.
Place in oven and bake until the sauce is done, 10-15 minutes.
- 8Add the butter to the same skillet you used for the meatballs. Let it melt and add the onions, garlic, basil and pepper.
Cook until they are tender, but do not let them burn.
- 9Add the tomato sauce to pan. Be careful, it might splatter. Stir it into the onions and spices and let it come to a simmer.
- 10Let it simmer for 7 minutes.
Remove the meatballs from the oven and add them to the sauce.
- 11Stir them gently to coat them with sauce.
Taste the sauce for salt and add more if needed.