Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
- 2 lb
- ripe tomatoes (blanched, peeled and chopped) or 2 cups canned imported italian pum tomatoes, cut up with their juice
- 4-5 Tbsp
- medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 lb
- pasta (spaghetti, penne, rigatoni)
- freshly grated parmeggiano-reggiano cheese for the table
How to Make Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
- 1Put either the prepared fresh tomatoes or the canned in a saucepan, add the butter, onion, and salt, and cook uncovered at a very slow, but steady simmer for 45 minutes, or until the fat floats free from the tomato.
- 2Stir from time to time, mashing any large piece of tomato in the pan with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 3Taste and correct for salt.
- 4Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta.