Tomato and Asparagus Carbonara
Adding some rotisserie chicken chunks or canned flaked tuna fish, is great too!
This is a great family quick and easy recipe.
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb
- asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 tsp
- minced garlic
- 1 pt
- cherry tomatoes, halve
- 1/2 c
- pecorino romano cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp
- each kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 large
- 8 oz
- pkg. penne pasta
- 1/4 c
- fresh basil leaves
How to Make Tomato and Asparagus Carbonara
- 1Bring 3 qts. water to a boil in a large pan; while preparing the following:
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to pan to coat.
Add asparagus, sauté 3 1/2 minutes.
Add garlic sauté for another minute.
Add tomatoes; cook for 6 more minutes, or until tomatoes are tender.
- 2Combine cheese, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.(don't worry about the raw egg - the heat from adding the hot pasta later will cook the egg, thickening it into a light, creamy sauce.)
- 3How add the pasta to the boiling water; cook about 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and toss pasta immediately with egg mixture, tossing until sauce thickens.
- 4Divide pasta equally among 4 bowls.
Sprinkle each serving with 1 Tablespoon basil.
Great served with a fruity white wine- apple juice for the kids.