The Greenbriar Spaghetti Sauce (Dad's Recipe)
The Greenbriar Resort: greenbrier.com
1 colive oil or canola oil or any oil used on salads (salad oils)
1 cfinely chopped celery
1 cfinely chopped green pepper
2 cfinely chopped onion
2 Tbspminced garlic
13 ccrushed tomatoes
1 ctomato puree
1 tspsweet basil, crushed
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make The Greenbriar Spaghetti Sauce (Dad's Recipe)
- Saute onions, celery and green pepper in salad oil, stirring frequently. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, puree and seasonings.
- Simmer uncovered about 2 hours.
- After it has simmered, fill clean sterilized jars to within 1 inch of top of jar. Put on cap, screw the band 'fingertip' tight. Too tight and air bubbles may not be able to escape while boiling or canning.
- Process for 45 minutes for quart jars, and 35 minutes for pint jars, in a water bath.
Process 35 minutes for pints.
Process 45 minutes for quarts.
Remove from canner. Let cool in draft-free area (cover with towels to be sure)
Check lids to be sure they are sealed. (Press center of lid with your finger. If it moves and makes a "click", the jar is not sealed.)
- Note: Ground beef, mushrooms, etc., can be added at time of use.
- Note: if you do not wish to can this sauce, it can also be frozen for up to six months inside freezer.