Schinkenfleckerl (Ham and Noodle Casserole)
2 cdry wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
2 Tbspall purpose flour
1 1/2 csour cream
1/2 lbcooked ham, diced
·salt and pepper, to taste
1/8 tspground nutmeg
1/2 cgrated parmesan cheese
How to Make Schinkenfleckerl (Ham and Noodle Casserole)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth. Take off heat and cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the egg yolks to the cooled butter and flour mixture. Stir in sour cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Combine the cooked and drained noodles and sour cream mixture. Stir in ham. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Put into prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle cheese over top and cook an additional 25 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.