Rose's Creamy Mac n' Cheese
A Rose Tracy
So I used Goat & Sheep milk products and rice flour both for thickening and for the pasta.
- 1 pkg
- rice flour pasta (or pasta of choice, i like a brown rice rotini style the best) cooked & drained
- 1 large
- vidalia or sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- goat butter (i find it at fresh market or whole foods) (to cook onions)
- 1/2 lb
- manchego cheese (grated)
- 1 lb
- goat gouda (i like naked goat)
- 1 pkg
- 3 oz package of chevre (i love the one with pepadew)
- 2 Tbsp
- goat butter (to make roux)
- 1/4 c
- rice flour (sift in slowly)
- 2 c
- whole goat milk (or plain kefir if you can find it)(as an alternate to milk i occasionally use chicken stock)
- 1/2 c
- grated manchego & goat gouda
How to Make Rose's Creamy Mac n' Cheese
- 1Ultra Creamy Mac and
1 package of pasta of choice (I love Rotini best) Cooked and drained
1 large Vidalia or Sweet Onion, Chopped
1 TBSP Goat Butter
1/2 lb Manchego Cheese, Grated
1 lb Goat Gouda, Grated
(I alternately have added more cheeses, like Buffalo Mozzarella, and any semi soft Sheep or Goat Milk Cheeses I can find.)
1 3 oz pkg Chevre (with Pepadew if you can find it)
2 oz Goat Butter
1/4 cup rice flour (I like unbleached)
2 cups Goat Milk (Meyenburg now has a 2% for the weight concious)
(Alternately, when out of milk I have used chicken stock which makes the flavor very rich. My other alternate is Kefir when I can find it at Whole foods, the sauce is thicker and you have the added benefits of yogurt cultures in it.)
1/2 Cup Manchego & Goat Gouda shredded together to top the casserole. (I also like that Buffalo Mozzarella sliced thin across the top. It melts beautifully.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2First I put the pasta in boiling water and cook until it is Aldente, drain, toss with a bit of olive oil and put into a deep casserole that I presprayed with cooking spray. Set aside.
- 3In a large skillet I melt 1 Tbsp Goat Butter and add the chopped onion. Saute slowly to carmelize the onions. Once Carmelized, add to pasta and stir.
- 4In a medium saucepan heat the 2 Tbsp Goat Butter and Chevre til melted and add the flour whisking rapidly to blend quickly and allow to come to light boil.
- 5Slowly add the 2 cups of Goat Milk (Or Stock) whisking continuously and let heat back to a light boil as this begins to thicken up again.
- 6Start stirring in the grated cheeses and continue to stir until everything is melted and smooth.
**At this point, if I am going to add veggies or meat I do now. I like peas with white meat of chicken. But I have used broccoli too. The fanciest I made was with Fresh Asparagras lightly steamed and chopped up and Shrimp.
- 7Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and onions and stir well to blend together.
- 8Cover the top with the final 1/2 cup of cheese.
- 9Put the casserole into the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the top has gotten lightly golden. Remove and let sit for at least 20 minutes before cutting into the casserole. This lets the cheese sauce to set up and absorb just a bit more into the pasta.
- 10(Optional, you can add veggies, diced chicken, shrimp or stew meat to this to make it a full meal.)
- 11Side Note: If you need to make this in advance for a dinner, I suggest making the sauce ahead of time. Don't add it to the pasta until the day of the dinner and baking then. Pasta will keep absorbing liquid and cause your creamy Mac and Cheese to be just a lot of Pasta Glue that is a bit dry.