Pasta e Fagioli
The recipe was shown to me by my mother-in-law when I first got married. And though I changed it a little, it is still simple and nutritious, remaining a favorite of ours.
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, (italian, imported)
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 pkg
- chopped spinach
- 2 can(s)
- cannellini beans, drained
- 48 oz
- chicken broth (organic)
- 1 box
- ditalini or small shells
- day old italian bread, thick sliced and baked in a 250 degree oven for a half hour
- grated parmesan or romano cheese
How to Make Pasta e Fagioli
- 1Cook pasta to just under al dente. It should be soft outside and hard in the center. Defrost and drain frozen chopped spinach well. Drain cannellini beans.
- 2In a large soup pot on medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil until garlic is opaque(do not brown).
- 3Add drained spinach to garlic and oil mixture in the pot and saute for a few minutes, allowing the spinach to absorb the flavor of the garlic. Add cannellini beans, then chicken broth. Bring to a low boil then drop to simmer. Add cooked, drained pasta.
- 4Continue cooking for 15 minutes. The pasta will resume cooking, but will be al dente and not soggy.
- 5Serve pasta e fagioli over the thick crispy bread slices with fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
If you are lucky to live near a good Italian bakery you can ask for whole wheat biscotti and serve it over them. It is delicious!