Norma's Healthy Broccoli & White Bean Mac & Cheese
1 cskim milk, divided
3 Tbspwhole-wheat flour
3/4 cnonfat evaporated milk
3garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tspfresh gound nutmeg
4 ozlow-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
5 Tbspfinely grated or powdered romano cheese, divided
·sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 boxof a 13.25 ounce box of whole-wheat elbow macaroni
3 cchopped 1 inch broccoli florets
1red pepper, chopped
1 ccanned unsalted white beans, drained and rinsed
How to Make Norma's Healthy Broccoli & White Bean Mac & Cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of skim milk and flour and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine remaining 3/4 cup skim milk and evaporated milk and place on stove over high heat and stir in garlic and nutmeg.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium and whisk in flour mixture until no longer lumps remain.
- Reduce heat to low and cook,whisking constantly until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoon of romano until well blended.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and keep warm on lowest heat setting until needed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add macaroni and broccoli and cook for 6 minutes. Pasta will be slightly undercooked at this point. Stir in bell pepper.
- Drain and return to pot. Stir in beans and milk mixture and heat on low. Cook for 1 minute, until heated through.
- Spoon onto serving dishes and top with remaining 2 tablespoons of Romano and paprika, dividing evenly and serve hot.