Norma's Healthy Broccoli & White Bean Mac & Cheese
- 1 c
- skim milk, divided
- 3 Tbsp
- whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 c
- nonfat evaporated milk
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh gound nutmeg
- 4 oz
- low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 5 Tbsp
- finely grated or powdered romano cheese, divided
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 box
- of a 13.25 ounce box of whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 c
- chopped 1 inch broccoli florets
- red pepper, chopped
- 1 c
- canned unsalted white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp
How to Make Norma's Healthy Broccoli & White Bean Mac & Cheese
- 1In a small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of skim milk and flour and set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan, combine remaining 3/4 cup skim milk and evaporated milk and place on stove over high heat and stir in garlic and nutmeg.
- 3Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium and whisk in flour mixture until no longer lumps remain.
- 4Reduce heat to low and cook,whisking constantly until mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- 5Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoon of romano until well blended.
- 6Season with salt and pepper, cover and keep warm on lowest heat setting until needed.
- 7Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add macaroni and broccoli and cook for 6 minutes. Pasta will be slightly undercooked at this point. Stir in bell pepper.
- 8Drain and return to pot. Stir in beans and milk mixture and heat on low. Cook for 1 minute, until heated through.
- 9Spoon onto serving dishes and top with remaining 2 tablespoons of Romano and paprika, dividing evenly and serve hot.