No Tomato Pasta Sauce
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 can(s)sliced carrots, drain & reserve
1 can(s)sliced beets, drain & reserve
1 Tbspolive oil
4 clovegarlic, crushed/minced
2 Tbspitalian seasoning
1/4 cred wine vinegar
1 lbground beef or ground turkey
1 smallonion, diced
1bell pepper, diced
1/4 citalian bread crumbs
How to Make No Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Drain the carrots & beets & put both liquids into a jar or large capacity measuring cup.
- Place carrots & beets, one can at a time, into a blender & blend until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook & stir garlic & onions until onions are translucent.
- Stir in pureed carrots & beets, then add the bay leaf, Italian seasoning, & red wine vinegar.Cover & cook until the sauce begins to boil.
- Remove lid & reduce heat to low. Simmer for up to 4 hours, or at least 30 minutes. Serve hot over pasta or meatloaf (my recipe follows).
- Combine ground meat with chopped onions, bell pepper, & crushed garlic. Mix well.
- Add 1 egg & mix (I use my hands) until well blended. If it seems a little dry, add the 2nd egg.
- Add bread crumbs & mix well.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the No Tomato Pasta Sauce & mix well. If needed, add more, but if it's too wet, it'll fall apart.
- Shape into a loaf & bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Add more of the sauce to the top of the loaf & bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven & let it cool (very tempting, I know, but the "rest" allows for an easier cut, IMHO).