New Orleans Style Shrimp & Sausage Pasta
- 1 lb
- box of angel hair pasta (i used about 3/4 of the box)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 medium
- 3 small
- green onions
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic (or more, if you like)
- 2 tsp
- tony cachere's creole seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp
- cajun seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 14 oz
- package of smoked sausage or andouille sausage if you prefer more spice
- 32 oz
- carton of heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 lb
- shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
How to Make New Orleans Style Shrimp & Sausage Pasta
- 1Cut tomato in quarters, then scoop out the seeds. Dice and set aside. Thinly slice tops of green onion. Chop basil leaves and slice smoked sausage. If using fresh shrimp, peel and devein and remove tails. Set aside. Reserve 7 or 8 shrimp to saute later.
- 2Cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- 3In a dutch oven or large skillet with deep sides, melt butter. Saute onions, garlic, tomatoes and seasonings on medium high heat for about 7 to 8 minutes. Add sausage and brown well.
- 4Pour in heavy cream and bring to a boil. Add cheese and sprinkle with additional creole seasoning, if desired. You may also add a dash of salt at this time, but keep in mind that the sausage and the cheese contains salt, so use your own judgement.
- 5Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes to reduce, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and cook for about 5 to 7 more minutes or until shrimp is pink.
- 6Remove from heat and add pasta, gently stirring to coat. Garnish with sauteed shrimp and serve.
- 7TO SAUTE THE EXTRA SHRIMP: In a small skillet, melt about 1 tablespoon of butter. Add about 3/4 teaspoon of minced garlic and the reserved shrimp. Sprinkle with creole seasoning and brown shrimp well. Use as a garnish for pasta dish.