Mie Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
In Indonesia, Mie Goreng is served all day long. You might see it made with a mix of any or all of the following: fried eggs, shrimp, chicken and vegetables.
This simple mie goreng recipe reflects a traditional version of the dish, don’t worry if you can’t find all of the ingredients; you will still get the essence of the dish even if you swap different veggies.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 6 ounces dried egg noodles, or 9 ounces fresh egg noodles
- vegetable oil (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 candlenuts (substitute macadamia nuts, or omit nuts entirely)
- 1/2 tablespoon whole white pepper
- 3 to 4 ounces chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 3 to 4 ounces shrimp
- 4 tablespoons indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 5 ounces chicken stock
- 3/4 cup cut cabbage (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (about 3 ounces)
- 3 to 4 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk chinese celery, chopped (substitute celery or 3/4 cup fresh spinach)
- shrimp chips
- a fried egg
- tomato slices
- sambal or hot sauce
How to Make Mie Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
- 1In a food processor or using a mortar and pestle, grind the garlic, nuts and pepper until it becomes a thick, natural peanut butter type textured, paste.
- 2Heat cooking oil in a wok. Add the spice and garlic paste; once it is fragrant (very quickly – less than a minute), add the chicken.
Cook over medium heat until it is opaque; add the shrimp, and cook until done.
- 3In a steady stream, pour the chicken stock into the wok. Add the cabbage and any vegetables that require a longer cooking time.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let it boil for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Increase the heat back to medium-high, and add the noodles. Add the sweet soy sauce, and stir everything together.
Let the noodles cook for as long as you’d like: If you prefer them more wet, a shorter cook time, or you can cook them until they’re quite dry.
- 5Once the noodles have reached your desired level of dryness, add the sprouts and greens.
Cook until the greens have wilted, just a minute or two.
- 6Garnish with shrimp chips, a fried egg or tomato slices. If you prefer spicy, serve with a side of sambal or hot sauce.