"Grown-Up's" Mac n Cheese
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 box
- elbow macaroni, cooked (used barilla brand)
- 16 oz
- roasted smoked sausage, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 3/4 c
- frozen peas
- 8 oz
- cubed, velveeta cheese
- 1/2 c
- half and half
- celery stalk, chopped small
- med onion, chopped small
- 1 pkg
- fresh mushrooms, sliced
- garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- smoked paparika
- 2-3 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- crushed butter flavored crackers, optional
How to Make "Grown-Up's" Mac n Cheese
- 1Cook elbow macaroni as directed on box. Add frozen peas last 4 minutes of cooking macaroni.
- 2While macaroni is cooking, saute chopped onion, celery, sliced mushrooms, and garlic. **Add garlic last**
- 3Add sliced smoked sausage to sauted onion mixture just to heat through. Set aside.
- 4Cube Velveeta cheese.
- 5Once macaroni is cooked as directed on box, drain. Add cubed Velveeta cheese, half and half, sour cream. Stir till cheese is melted. Add paparika and salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Lastly, add your onion, mushroom, sausage mixture. Stir to mix through.
- 7Serve right from stove top or put into 350 degree oven with crushed butter flavor crackers on top for apx. 30 minutes or till heated through.
Garnish with parsley if you like.