Fresh Vegetable Tetrazzini
8 ozdried fettucine or spaghetti , broken
1/2head of fresh broccoli
3 Tbspall purpose flour
2 1/2 cmilk
1/2 cgrated parmesan
1/4 tspground pepper
1 pkgfresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 cpanko bread crumbs
3/4 calmonds, slivered
1/3 cgrated parmesan cheese for the top !
How to Make Fresh Vegetable Tetrazzini
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 3 quart rectangular dish. I use a 13x9
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and set aside. Just to al'dente stage !
- Steam the broccoli and carrots till just tender. They will cook more in the casserole later !
- Sautee the sliced mushrooms in a little butter until just tender and have changed color.
- Set aside the veggies and start the cheese sauce. In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and stir in the flour.Slowly add the milk. Cook and stir frequently over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more and then remove from heat. Stir in the parmesan , salt and pepper.
- In the prepared pan toss pasta with a half a cup of the cheese sauce. Spread pasta evenly around the pan, top with vegetables and mushrooms.Top with the 1/2 cup of grated parmesan. Pour remaining cheese sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the top with grated parmesan, panko bread crumbs and almonds. * melt 2 TBS. Butter and mix in with 1 cup of Panko crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the casserole , then sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake covered for 10 min. then uncover and bake 10 more. Watch the almonds, they burn easily uncovered. It should be bubbly and hot now.
- I serve this as a main dish but it can just as easily be a side dish. You can also make this up a day ahead and just stick it in the oven when ready to bake. Just adjust heating time accordingly.