Fresh Vegetable Tetrazzini
- 8 oz
- dried fettucine or spaghetti , broken
- head of fresh broccoli
- carrots, julienned
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground pepper
- 1 pkg
- fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 c
- panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 c
- almonds, slivered
- 1/3 c
- grated parmesan cheese for the top !
How to Make Fresh Vegetable Tetrazzini
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 3 quart rectangular dish. I use a 13x9
- 2Cook pasta according to directions, drain and set aside. Just to al'dente stage !
- 3Steam the broccoli and carrots till just tender. They will cook more in the casserole later !
- 4Sautee the sliced mushrooms in a little butter until just tender and have changed color.
- 5Set aside the veggies and start the cheese sauce. In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and stir in the flour.Slowly add the milk. Cook and stir frequently over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more and then remove from heat. Stir in the parmesan , salt and pepper.
- 6In the prepared pan toss pasta with a half a cup of the cheese sauce. Spread pasta evenly around the pan, top with vegetables and mushrooms.Top with the 1/2 cup of grated parmesan. Pour remaining cheese sauce over the top.
- 7Sprinkle the top with grated parmesan, panko bread crumbs and almonds. * melt 2 TBS. Butter and mix in with 1 cup of Panko crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the casserole , then sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- 8Bake covered for 10 min. then uncover and bake 10 more. Watch the almonds, they burn easily uncovered. It should be bubbly and hot now.
- 9I serve this as a main dish but it can just as easily be a side dish. You can also make this up a day ahead and just stick it in the oven when ready to bake. Just adjust heating time accordingly.