Diabetic Penne with Broccoli Rabe
12 ozbroccoli florets
6 ozdried multi-grain penne pasta
1/2 cchopped onion
1 slicebacon, coarsely chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
4medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/3 cdry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cshaved asiago cheese (1 oz.)
How to Make Diabetic Penne with Broccoli Rabe
- Wash broccoli, set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook pasta in a large amount of boiling water for 8 minutes.
- Add broccoli rabe or broccoli florets. Cook about 3 minutes more or just until pasta is tender; drain well.
- Return mixture to hot saucepan; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook onion, bacon, and garlic over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Add tomatoes, wine, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for 2 minutes more, stirring frequently.
4. Add tomato mixture to pasta mixture; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with cheese.