COUNTRY BOY LASAGNA
Creamy, Decadent and hearty and just warms your soul up lol that's my Hubby's words on this dish!
Give it a try you just might be surprised at how yummy this mess is!!!
**THIS DOES NOT TASTE ITALIAN AT ALL
1 lblean ground beef (i use 80/20)
1/2green, yellow, red or orange pepper
1/2medium onion (any kind)
1 cloveminced garlic (1 teaspoon powder)
1 can(s)28 ounce tomatoes (i use my quart sized home canned you can use 2 small cans or 1 large can whole, diced or crushed)
1 can(s)15 ounce tomato sauce
2 Tbspparsley fresh or dried
·salt and pepper to taste
112 to 16 oz container of pimento cheese spread (i make mine home made but have used it pre-made)
1/2 cheavy cream, canned cream 1/2 & 1/2 or milk (i have used all of them!)
116 ounce tub cottage cheese (i use whole milk cottage cheese)
1 pkgoven ready lasagna (you can use regular just cook to package directions)
2 cshredded sharp or medium cheddar cheese or more any cheese of your choice (i had monterey and cheddar slices that needed to be used so i used them today!)
2 cshredded monterey jack cheese
How to Make COUNTRY BOY LASAGNA
- Preheat oven to 375 degree
- Add onion, peppers, parsley and garlic and let beef finish cooking. If you use 80/20 or leaner do not drain unless you want to. (I don't drain my leaner ground beef)
If using a fattier beef drain the grease off at the half cooked stage and don't drain after you add the peppers, onions and garlic unless you want to have less oil in the dish.
- Once beef has finished cooking add tomatoes and let simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat. You want the sauce to reduce some but still need it to be a "little on the wet side" if you are using oven ready lasagna. If sauce still looks to "wet" check it again in 5 minutes.
Keep sauce warm it helps with the spreading of the pimento cheese spread layer.
**Simmer until sauce is thicker if you are using fresh or cooked lasagna noodles***
About 30 minutes.
- Add a thin layer of sauce and spread over noodles.
- Now start the layers over again
**Finish with noodles sauce and shredded cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil wrap and place in 375 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes
Uncover and return to oven for 30 minutes longer
Remove from oven to cooling rack and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or longer to "set up"
I always try to let it "set up" for 1 hour but 30 minutes will work just a little loose when you cut and serve it.