Best Butternut Squash Sauce over Pasta
This recipe goes together quickly but requires a couple of previously prepared ingredients: cooked butternut squash and roasted red pepper. Plan ahead. The quantities given are suggestive; adjust & season to your taste. The cheese alone made it salty enough for us.
6 ozdry pasta, e.g. rigatoni
4 ozloose sausage
1 mediumshallot, minced
2 clovegarlic, minced
200 gbutternut squash, cooked & mashed
1/4 cgreek yogurt, sour cream, or other tangy cultured dairy
1 1/2 cpasta water (you may not need it all)
1 cparsley, minced
1 mediumred bell pepper, roasted, peeled & diced
2 ozpecorino romano, finely grated
How to Make Best Butternut Squash Sauce over Pasta
- Start to cook the pasta so it will be ready to add to the sauce when assembled. The recipe will need pasta water toward the end so remember to reserve about 1 1/2 cups of it.
- Saute and crumble the sausage in a medium cast iron skillet or saute pan. The pan should be big enough to hold all the ingredients, including the pasta, at the end.
- As the sausage finishes cooking, drain off some of the rendered fat, if needed, and add the minced shallot and garlic. Saute slowly so as not to scorch the vegetables.
- Stir together the mashed squash and the yogurt (sour cream, or other). Add to the sausage and heat through, making sure the temperature is sufficiently low so as not to scorch the squash.
- Add pasta water as needed to keep the sauce loose but not watery. Add the parsley and red pepper. Heat through.
- Add the drained pasta and more pasta water if needed. Stir to thoroughly coat the pasta.
- While still stirring, slowly add the grated Romano cheese, carefully distributing the cheese throughout. Serve immediately.