Baked Cheesy Bacon Spaghetti Squash
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 mediumspaghetti squash
2 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
2 - 3 mediumroma tomatoes, chopped small
4 slicebacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
1/4 cfresh basil, sliced thin
1 clow fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tspsea salt, divided
1 tspcayenne pepper, divided
1 tspgarlic powder, divided
1/2 cfeta cheese, crumbled
How to Make Baked Cheesy Bacon Spaghetti Squash
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise down the middle using a large, sturdy knife. Remove the seeds and some of the center strings.
- Take one of the halves and put it cut-side-up in a close-fitting microwave dish (such as an oval casserole.) You want it to be as stable and as level as possible. If it isn't, cut a very thin strip of skin from the bottom.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into the hollow of the squash itself then place the other half on top cut-side-down. Carefully place it in the microwave and cook on full power.
- A small squash (under 1 1/2 lbs) will take about 11 minutes to cook. Test for doneness by squeezing the top half gently (wear an oven mitt for this!) If it's soft, it's likely to be done. Carefully remove the top half to see if the flesh has turned a rich, semi-translucent yellow (as opposed to opaque yellow-white). Drain any remaining water (there may not be any) and fluff the strands with a fork.
- Place the squash, open side up on a cookie sheet. Leave the squash in the skin.Drizzle the two halves with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add the tomatoes, bacon and fresh basil into the squash, mix and top with the mozzarella cheese.
Place in the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Remove and sprinkle with Feta cheese
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving