Älplermagronen (Swiss Alpine Macaroni)
Älplermagronen (Alpine Macaroni) is a Swiss pasta dish made by layering pasta and potatoes with cheese, caramelized onions topping with, and serving with applesauce. It is the perfect comfort food as the weather gets colder.
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 large
- onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large
- potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb
- macaroni pasta, or pasta of your choice
- 1/2 c
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c
- grated, gruyere or emmentaler cheese
- applesauce for serving
How to Make Älplermagronen (Swiss Alpine Macaroni)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease large casserole dish.
- 2Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 3In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- 4Once water comes to a boil, add cubed potatoes. As They begin to soften, about 5 minutes, add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and pasta is just tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and gently rinse with cold water.
- 5In a small bowl, season with salt and pepper cream.
- 6Add 1/3 of pasta and potatoes to the bottom of prepared dish. Evenly cover with 1/2 of grated cheese.
- 7Top with another 1/3 of pasta and potatoes, then top with remaining cheese, then remaining pasta and potatoes.
- 8Pour the cream over the layers. Evenly cover with caramelized onions.
- 9Cover and bake in preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.
- 10Serve hot over applesauce.