Älplermagronen (Swiss Alpine Macaroni)
Älplermagronen (Alpine Macaroni) is a Swiss pasta dish made by layering pasta and potatoes with cheese, caramelized onions topping with, and serving with applesauce. It is the perfect comfort food as the weather gets colder.
2 largeonions, thinly sliced
2 largepotatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes
1 lbmacaroni pasta, or pasta of your choice
·salt and pepper to taste
1 cgrated, gruyere or emmentaler cheese
·applesauce for serving
How to Make Älplermagronen (Swiss Alpine Macaroni)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease large casserole dish.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Once water comes to a boil, add cubed potatoes. As They begin to soften, about 5 minutes, add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and pasta is just tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and gently rinse with cold water.
- In a small bowl, season with salt and pepper cream.
- Add 1/3 of pasta and potatoes to the bottom of prepared dish. Evenly cover with 1/2 of grated cheese.
- Top with another 1/3 of pasta and potatoes, then top with remaining cheese, then remaining pasta and potatoes.
- Pour the cream over the layers. Evenly cover with caramelized onions.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot over applesauce.