Veggie Stew with Cornbread Dumplings
I spent 10 years as a vegetarian in an effort ot get my chorlestoral down.
I made this frequently, and even took the slow cooker camping. Used to mix up the dry ingredients, put in a zip lock bag, and take it camping, so i wouldn't have to bring along extra ingredients.
The recipie came from my daughter in law Kimmie McMillan.
- 3 c
- butternut or acorn squash, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 c
- diced fresh tomatoes, could use canned
- 29 oz
- two 14.5 oz cans italian style stewed tomatoes
- 15 oz
- can drained great nothern beans
- 9 oz
- package frozen italian style green beans
- 4 medium
- cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c
- 2 tsp
- mixed italian herbs, oregano, sweet basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- you can also add diced onion, celery, zuchinni,. and green pepper, i usually do
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- grated parmesean cheese
- paprika to sprinkle over the top for color
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh snipped parsley
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- shredded cheddar and sour cream for garnish
How to Make Veggie Stew with Cornbread Dumplings
- 1Put a disposable liner in the slow cooker, add all ingredients except for dumplings, give a stir.
- 2Cook on low for 6 to 8hours
- 3Turn on high, mix all dumpling ingredients, drop by rounded teaspoons, sprinkle with paprika. Keep covered for 20 minutes, do not open cover.
- 4When dumplings are cooked through, serve on top of stew with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese