Vegetarian Barley-Mushroom Casserole
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 eggs
- 1 c
- cottage cheese
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 1 tsp
- whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 10 oz
- portabella mushrooms, chopped
- onion, chopped
- cloves garlic chopped
- 3 c
- cooked barley
- 1-1/2 c
- pepper jack cheese- grated
- 3 Tbsp
- basil, fresh chopped
- 1 can(s)
- black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 c
- breadcrumbs (can be sauted in butter) for topping
- 3 pinch
- salt and pepper
How to Make Vegetarian Barley-Mushroom Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350F
Prepare 9x13 casserole pan with a rub of olive oil
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, mustard, basil, salt and pepper.
- 3Drain and rinse the can of black beans-set aside.
Prepare the barley according to package directions to make 3 cups worth. When done-rinse and cool briefly under cold water-let drain.
- 4To a large pan set on high heat-add the olive oil, and a couple pinches of salt. Swirl the oil in the pan.When heated,add the chopped mushrooms. Leave the mushrooms alone as they release their water and the water evaporates, approx. 5 minutes.Continue to cook and stir every couple of minutes until the mushrooms are browned.
- 5Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent another 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic, cook for 1 minute-then remove from heat.
- 6Add the barley and the mushrooms,to the cottage cheese mixture,stir and combine well. Turn into prepared casserole dish. (the barley must be cool-or room temperature)
- 7Sprinkle two-thirds of the cheese on top and then the breadcrumbs. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes. Serve sprinkled with the remaining cheese.