Vegan Lentil Loaf
Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked lentils – either green or yellow
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 large yellow onion, or 2 medium – it’s better to have too much than not enough
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped baby tomatoes
- assorted herbs – dill, thyme, italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder or 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste (i like it hot!)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Vegan Lentil Loaf
- 1Pre-heat to 375 degrees
In a large pot, cook lentils in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and mash slightly. In a large sauce pan, add olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes,a pinch of salt and let cook down for 10 minutes. Add garlic powder (or garlic) and the remainder of the herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Let cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- 2In a large pan, mix lentils, rice, onion mixture, ketchup and hot sauce. Taste and season to your liking.
Transfer lentil mixture to baking dish of choice. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Check and see if the top of crunchy. Depending on the depth of your pan will determine the cooking time. I baked mine for 35 minutes but it could have baked for a bit longer for a crustier finish.
You can always top your loaf with ketchup, too.
Let cool for at least 15-20 minutes before slicing.