Turnips and Mustards with Smoked Rib Tips
- 4 bunch
- turnip greens
- 4 bunch
- mustard greens, flat or curly
- 2 1/2 large
- yellow onions
- 3 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- generous shakings of gloria's green seasonings
- 3 pkg
- smoked rib tips, roughly 12 pieces
- genereous shakings of emerils chicken seasoning mix
How to Make Turnips and Mustards with Smoked Rib Tips
- 1Get Greens and clean them like mama taught you I don't care for many stems but add some for texture. Too many make the greens bitter. I clean my greens twice for each bunch in a divided sink. Or until there is no more dirt or sand at the bottom of the sinks when I've finished rinsing them.
- 2Rinse off your rib tips and place in the pot with onions chopped or sliced depending on your preferred "chew". Add garlic, green seasoning and chicken seasoning add water until ribs tips are just covered. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium low, cover with lid and let simmer for 3 hours. Check water level on occasion. but if you do add water, remember to adjust your seasonings.
- 3After 3 hours remove rib tips to bowl and use "liqqer" left in pot to start your turnips and mustards. they don't have to be in any particular fashion, your just letting them cook down before adding the rest. I use a two gallon pot to prevent overcrowding. Once all greens are in let them simmer over the next 3 hours or longer if you like. The longer you cook them the more tender they will be. After an hour or so taste them and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- 4Once your greens have the chew you like to them, return the ribtips to the pot and stir well, you can even let em go another 20-30 minutes. Don't be to rough with the stirring if you like nice pieces of meat.
- 5Serve with a good piece of cornbread, sliced green onions and tomatoes and a sprinkling of white vinegar. Fine eating if you ask me, but I'm just saying...try them for yourself.