Texas - Frijoles a la charra
The homesicktexan says - Give me a big, steaming bowl of charra beans, borracho beans or even plain, porky pinto beans and I will be delighted.
6 c(already prepared) pinto beans still in its juice.
4 slicebacon chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 cfresh chopped tomatoes or one 14 oz. canned, diced tomatoes with sauce
2chipotles in adobo, chopped
1 cchopped cilantro
How to Make Texas - Frijoles a la charra
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- Add tomatoes, jalapenos, chipotles and cilantro to the skillet, and cook on medium for 10 minutes.
- Let tomato-bacon mixture cool, add one cup of bean juice (or water) and then puree.
- Stir puree into beans and let simmer together for 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, if you prefer a chunkier texture, you could skip the puree step and add the tomato-bacon mixture straight to the bean pot.