Tara's Shrimp and Grits
Tara Guthrie Lucas
- 1 can(s)
- chicken broth (16 oz.)
- servings of cooked grits (not instant)
- 1 medium
- sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large
- red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pkg
- fresh sliced mushrooms (8 oz.)
- 2 clove
- fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 oz
- real bacon recipe pieces (1/3 of 3 oz. pkg.)
- 1 lb
- fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 oz
- colby & monterrey jack cheese, shredded (i use the marbled in the block.)
- dash of tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 stick
- butter or margarine
How to Make Tara's Shrimp and Grits
- 1Cook grits according to package directions for 4 servings, only substitute the chicken broth for part of the water, and add water to make enough liquid for package directions.
- 2While grits are cooking, sauté garlic, onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in about 3 tablespoons of butter or margarine in a large deep skillet until tender. Add shrimp and bacon bits. You may need to add a little more butter or margarine after adding the shrimp. Cook until shrimp are completely pink.
- 3When grits are done, stir in some butter or margarine (to taste – I use about 1/2 stick) until melted.
- 4Make a bed of grits on individual plates or on a serving platter. Top grits generously with shredded cheese, reserving some extra cheese. Spoon the shrimp mixture over bed of grits and top with remaining shredded cheese. Add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce to taste before serving. Makes about 3 large or 4 small servings. Serve with sautéed vegetables such as zucchini or yellow squash and rolls.