Svestkove Knedliky - Czehoslovakin Fruit Dumpling
I went through grammar school and high school with my friend Patsy. Her mother Georgia would make these during the summer.
Although I never got her recipe. I would watch her make the dumplings and experiment till I figured it out.
Even today it is one of my families favorite summer dinners.
I hope you enjoy them as much as my family has.
I enjoy old recipes and I don't mind the time it takes to make the recipe.
- 2 1/2 c
- sifted organic all purpose flour
- large organic eggs, well beaten
- 1 can(s)
- gingerale or 7 up
- 1 pinch
- salt, plus 1 tablespoon of sugar
- washed and dried, fresh organic ripe fruits, peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, cherries. do not cut them up, you are going to use the whole fruit, pits and all
- 1 c
- plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 c
- melted organic raw sweet butter. plus 2 tablespoon
- 1/2 c
- organic cane sugar
How to Make Svestkove Knedliky - Czehoslovakin Fruit Dumpling
- 1Fill a 8 quart pan with water till 2/3 full with a tablespoon of sugar. Bring to a full boil.
While you are waiting for the water to boil.
Take a skillet and 2 tablespoons of sweet butter. Heat pan on medium heat, melt butter and then add the bread crumbs and brown the bread crumbs. Take skillet off stove and add the sugar. Set aside.
Place the sifted flour, salt, and eggs in a bowl. Add about 1/2 a can of the gingerale or 7 up. Beat until all is incorporated and it's shinny..if it is too thick add a little more of the soda. You will need a dough that isn't loose, but a bit tacky and you can roll.
- 2Take the 1/2 the dough, covering the rest with a towel, and place half the dough on a floured surface.
- 3Roll the dough out and cut in circles..large ones, medium and small. Place each whole unpitted fruit in the center. Stretch the dough over the fruit to the top and pinch closed. Roll between your hands to even out the dough.
- 4Start with the largest fruit. Place dumplings in boiling water with a slated spoon. Tilt cover and let boil for about 5-10 minutes or until they float to the top, cook 5 mintues longer. Cherries, Apricots and plums take less time.
- 5Lift carefully out of the boiling water with a slated spoon and place of a platter. Finsh the rest of the dumplings.
- 6Serve immediately individually. Spoon the hot melted butter over the top and then the sugared bread crumbs.
- 7Some use cooked Farina or Cream of Wheat in the dough. I love them both ways. But, Georgia only used flour.