- medium onion, quartered
- 1 c
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp
- dried oregano
- 2 clove
- 1 clove
- 8 oz. pkg, tempeh-cut into chunks
- 1 can(s)
- 28 oz. fire roasted tomatoes (can sub same size can diced tomatoes)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil (plus more for oiling slow cooker crock)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 pkg
- (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 jar(s)
- (16 oz) fire roasted red peppers, drained & rinsed
- container (16 oz) low-fat ricotta cheese **
- 1 c
- swiss cheese, grated & divided **
How to Make Spinach~Tempeh Lasagna
- 1Place onion, basil, oregano, and 2 whole garlic cloves in food processor; pulse 6 times, or until onion and garlic are chopped. Add tempeh, and pulse until tempeh is ground. Add tomatoes, oil, salt, and pepper; pulse until chunky sauce forms.
- 2Combine spinach and minced garlic in bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Coat bottom and sides of 4-quart slow cooker with oil. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce over bottom, and cover with layer of lasagna noodles, breaking them in pieces to fit around edges. Spread 3/4 cup spinach mixture over top. Place 1 layer roasted red peppers over spinach, and top with 3/4 cup ricotta. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce over ricotta. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup Swiss cheese. Repeat, layering noodles, spinach, peppers, ricotta, Swiss cheese, and tomato sauce. Top with 1 more layer noodles and remaining spinach, tomato sauce, ricotta, and Swiss cheese.
- 4Cook 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Let stand uncovered 10 minutes before serving.
- 5Many folks do not realize that their crock from a slowcooker is ovenproof and can go directly into a pre-heated oven! Avoid sudden temperature changes, however. Be sure to pre-heat the oven or broiler when placing a very warm or hot “crock” in there.
This recipe can be popped under the broiler for a few minutes to give the top that nice golden brown, slightly crusty finish!
- 6** To make this recipe completely vegan, omit the cheeses and for the ricotta, substitute firm tofu, mashed. For the dairy Swiss, substitute a vegan Swiss cheese which is soy or nut based.