Southern Style Red Beans and Sausage
- 1 lb
- dark red kidney beans
- 1 large
- sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb
- bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 clove
- garic, minced
- 1 lb
- cajun style smoked sausage, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 can(s)
- rotel tomatoes
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- baking soda
- slap yo mama cajun seasoning to taste
- black pepper to taste
How to Make Southern Style Red Beans and Sausage
- 1Soak kidney beans overnight in cold water. In the morning, drain and wash beans. Set aside.
- 2In a 5 qt. Dutch oven, cook bacon pieces, chopped onion, and garlic until onion is translucent. Add beans and cover with cold water. Add the 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to prevent gas. Slowly bring to boil. Boil until beans begin to soften. Add the rotel tomatoes and a teaspoon of Slap you Mama Cajun Seasoning. Continue simmering, covered, until the beans get soft. Once the beans are tender remove lid and simmer until some of the water evaporates. This is going to allow bean juice to thicken. Stir occasionally and add water as needed to prevent beans from sticking. Taste for salt and for tenderness. Now is the time to add more Slap Yo Mama and garlic powder if it is needed. Add the teaspoon of sugar and a good sprinkle of black pepper. Continue to stir and simmer as the beans continue to soften and the juice is thickening.
- 3While beans are simmering, slice the pound of smoked sausage into bite sized pieces and spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 12 min. to cook grease out of sausage. When they are lightly browned, lift off cookie sheet with slotted spoon and put into beans. Discard grease/fat. Stir and continue to simmer until beans are tender and juice is thick. For spicier beans, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- 4Serve over white, fluffy rice. Serve with Louisiana Hot Sauce,and thick slices of sweet onion, if desired.