Rustic Butternut Squash Pie
1pie crust - see below for recipe
1medium-large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cricotta cheese
1/2 ctoasted pine nuts
1/4 cfresh rosemary, chopped (all herb from 2-1/2 sprigs)
1/4 cfresh sage, chopped
4 ozsmoked fontina, 1/4 inch cubes
1/2 tspeach, salt and black pepper
How to Make Rustic Butternut Squash Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 and lay pie crust out on flat baking surface. I use a pizza stone.
- Place butternut squash in large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Scoop onto pie crust and fold edged up over filling. Garnish with uncooked, sliced butternut squash, if desired.
- Bake at 400 for 1 hour. Check at 30 minutes for over browning and cover with foil if needed.
- Once squash is tender (use a toothpick to determine) remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- For Pie Crust:
3 c all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 stk butter (use unsalted)
3/4 c vegetable shortening
5 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add in the butter and shortening. Using a pastry cutter, gradually work the butter and shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles. This step should take 3 or 4 minutes.
2 Lightly beat the egg with a fork, and then add it to the mixture. Next, add in the cold water and vinegar. Stir the mixture together until it's just combined, and then remove half the dough from the bowl.
3 Form a ball and roll out, on floured surface, to the size of your round baking surface, about 13-15 inches.
4 Yield: dough for 2 crusts.