Patata di Scarola e Fagioli
3 bunchescarole, fresh
2 or 3 mediumpotatoes
1 or 2 can(s)pink medium size beans
6-8 clovechopped garlic
·salt and pepper to taste
·generous flow of olive oil
How to Make Patata di Scarola e Fagioli
- Clean and rinse your escarole several times till the rinse water flows clean. (meaning no sand left in rinse water). Rinse and peel your potatoes and chop them in chunks. Put a large pot of water on and salt your water.
- Get a large saute pan and generously dose your pan with olive oil. Chop your garlic and place it in your saute pan and put aside for now.
- When your large pot comes to a full rolling boil your going to put your potatoes in there to get a par boil, no more than 5 to 8 minutes, here you must judge
- Your going to bring your water pot to a rolling boil again. Now your going to put your cleaned escarole in the pot
- It will cook very fast. Be sure you push your escarole down so that it is all submerged into the water. Put the lid on so it comes to a boil again. At this point you only need it to cook a few minutes always watching so it does not boil over, pouring out on your stove top. Now your going to drain your escarole; as you drain the escarole you want to reserve some of the liquid.You may need some of the vegetable water when you put it all together in your saute pan.
- Ok, now you have your par cooked potatoes, your cooked escarole; now your going to start to saute your garlic lightly, then turn down your heat on it. Open your beans rinse them in a colander. Now your going to place your potatoes in your pan semi mash them(they should be a little hard since you only par cooked them). Next you are going to add your beans to potatoes and add a little salt and pepper, cover it with a lid and let all the flavors mingle.Let that cook on simmer for a few minutes.
- Now your potatoes and beans are going to welcome the escarole to the saute pan. NOTE you may not want to use all your escarole if you cooked 3 heads; you might want to freeze some of the escarole for another time since you may have too much.You can use it either for soup or to make this another time. your going to let all your veggies and legumes to cook together for about 12 minutes..
- That's it!! Serve it with some hot sauce and you'll see you could actually binge out on this wonderful Italian vegetable dish. Buon Appetito!!