Heather Parrish Maliakal
How to Make Paneer
- Mix lemon juice in 1/2 cup hot water and put aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, making sure not to burn bottom.
- Just as the milk starts to boil, add lemon/water mix gradually and stir gently. You will see the curd will start to separate from the whey. Remove from heat.
- Once the milk fat and whey have separated, drain using a stainer lined with cheese cloth.
- Wrap and rinse with cold water. This is very important! If you skip rinsing, your paneer will taste like lemons :(
- Knead paneer enough to make smooth.
- Wrap tightly and press with a heavy pan/pot for 1 hour. Longer for firmer cheese.
- Next put into refrigerator and chill until you're ready to fry it.