Not your ordinary stuffed peppers
6 largeyellow or red bell peppers
1 mediumyellow onion
1 1/2 lbground meat(beef,venison,pork,turkey) or mixed
1-14.5 oz can(s)tomatoes, canned italian-style and diced
1 Tbspallspice, ground
1 tspancho chili pepper
1 tspground cumin
1 tspground nutmeg
2 Tbspcanola oil
1 Tbspdried oregano
1/2 cgrated parmesan or mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cwater
How to Make Not your ordinary stuffed peppers
- add the oil to a large pan and preheat
- chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan
- put the 1 1/2 cups of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
Add the quinoa, reduce the heat, put on a lid and simmer for 15 min.
- cut the tops from the peppers and thoroughly clean the inside
chop the removed tops and add to the pan with the onion
- put the ground meat in the pan with the onions and brown
- add the diced tomatoes,oregano,allspice,cumin,and chili powder to the pan, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- add the cooked quinoa to the pan and mix completely.
Salt to taste
- fill the bell peppers with the mixture and place upright in an oven safe baking dish that has about 1/4 inch of water in the bottom.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
- remove the dish from the oven and remove the foil.
Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the peppers and place back in the oven UNCOVERED for 10 minutes
- remove the peppers from the oven and plate