Moms Sunday Beans and Rice
- 1 bag(s)
- 1 lb. dry pinto beans
- 1/2 medium
- chopped onion
- 1 large
- jalapeno pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1 bunch
- fresh chopped cilantro or 2 tsp. paste cilantro
- 2 to 4 Tbsp
- pinto bean seasoning ( homemade recipe will be down below)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp
- ham stock, chicken or use liquid smoke for vegetarian.(some like to use a cup full of cooked chopped bacon)
How to Make Moms Sunday Beans and Rice
- 1You can use the directions on the back of dry beans to prepare the beans.
I like to soak bean in the morning when I get up and start prep for cooking around noon or 1pm.
- 2After soak over night or quick soak directions- Rinse beans, put in a big pot and add 6 cups of water.
Add your stock
Turn stove on to med high until boiling. Cover, turn stove to med-med low and simmer for 1 hour.
Note- make sure their is about 2in of water above beans the whole cook time. If it get low just add more hot water to make 2in above the beans.
- 3Pinto seasoning- after an hour add seasoning ( some stores don't carry pinto seasoning already mix )
Homemade Pinto seasoning mix- 1 Tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. fresh black pepper, 1 Tsp. chili powder, 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper or 1/2 tsp. red crushed pepper (opt) and 1 Tsp. oregano
Cover and cook for another hour on med heat
Note- don't let you beans get mushy- means your heat is to high.
( I like to start cooking my rice soon after this step...I make about 3 cups of rice to go with this meal. You can use min rice if you like)
- 4Onion, jalapeno, and garlic- chop onions, deseed jalapeno and cut into small strips, minced garlic and put all in pot and cook for 1 more hour on med heat.
Note- Beans should only take 3 hours of cook time..alway taste your beans before you turn off heat, if bean are still hard... turn up your heat and check every 30-40min until soft- means you had your heat to low or the beans needed more soaking time.
Cilantro - add on top 10 min before done.
( If you don't like jalapeno you can add 1/2 can of Rotel tomatoes instead )
Note- to get rid of gas from beans add a 1/2 cup of sliced celery while cooking in the first step it should be dissolve at the end of cooking and or in soaking beans before cook add salt to the soaking water but be sure to rinse soaking water off and add fresh water to cook beans in.