Mom's Cabbage Goulash
- cabbage head in small to medium chunks
- 3 medium
- carrots, sliced (optional)
- 1 pkg
- beef wieners, sliced
- 1 can(s)
- large tomatoes (do not drain the juice)
- black pepper (as little or as much as you like)
- salt (as little or as much as you like)
How to Make Mom's Cabbage Goulash
- 1Boil a large pot of water as you would as if you were making pasta. Water should be enough to completely cover cabbage/carrots. I always add a pinch of salt to my boiling water.
- 2Add cabbage and carrots (carrots are optional). Bring it back to a boil and add sliced wieners. Add salt and pepper (as much or as little as you want). Turn down heat to medium.
- 3Completely drain water once cabbage/carrots are tender (do not over cook). Put back in pot and add tomatoes with the juice. I used 1 regular size can of Italian diced tomatoes and 2 regular size cans of Italian whole stewed tomatoes. You can use as much tomatoes that suits you or your family. Add a tad more black pepper to suit your tastes.
- 4Heat on medium/low until heated all the way through. Enjoy!
Seriously, this is an easy recipe and it's very forgiving. I don't like as much black pepper in mine as much as my mom did when we were growing up, but I love tomatoes so I add more of those. You do not have to use Italian style tomatoes...it's just my preference, but my mom just used regular canned diced tomatoes.