So good, you will be sorry when it is all gone.
I developed this recipe for a cooking contest, and yes, friends.... it won. How exciting and tasty. Don't be afraid of the quantities listed; you and your guests will be happy and love the wonderful flavour.
Oh yes... provide plenty of baguette to soak up all the aromatic sauce. You'll be glad you did.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 lblarge shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on
1/4 lbunsalted butter
1 largehead garlic; whole head, peeled, crushed and chopped fine
1 cgreen onion, bulbs and stems, chopped coarse
2large, red pimento peppers; roasted; skin seeds and pith removed and cut into thin strips
2 cfresh, ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped, with juice
1 cflat leaf italian parsley, complete with stems, chopped fine
1 Tbspfresh oregano leaves, chopped fine
1 Tbspfresh basil leaves, chopped fine
1/2 ckalamata olives, pitted, crushed and chopped coarse
2 - 3lemons cut into wedges
1/2lemon - juice of
1/2 cdry white wine
How to Make MEDITERRANEAN SCAMPI
- In a large, deep, skillet or fast fry pan, melt butter. Be careful it does not burn
- Saute garlic; when golden in colour, remove from heat and set aside for later use.
- Add onions, bulbs with greens; saute until just softened; remove from heat and set aside for later use.
- Add plum tomatoes with their juice; lemon juice; white wine. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and onion which you had earlier set aside.
- Stir in roasted pimento peppers.
- Turn down heat and allow liquid to reduce.
- Stir in fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, basil).
- Stir in peeled and deveined shrimp. Steam until pink.
- Add capers and olives; allow to warm through.
- Turn out onto warm platter or serving bowl. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve while hot.
Serve with noodles, rice, or orzo.