Meatball Sandwich Casserole
- servings meatballs
- 4 c
- marinara sauce
- 1 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c
- italian blend cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c
- parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- 8 slice
- italian or french bread
How to Make Meatball Sandwich Casserole
- 1Make your meatballs, or use frozen. (You'll want to thaw or pre-cook a bit, and/or use extra baking time if using frozen). Meatballs can be whatever you like: beef, pork, turkey, chicken, tofu -- or a combination. It will vary depending on the size of the meatball, so follow the instructions for the correct number of servings.
- 2Prepare a 3 qt. casserole or 9x13" baking dish with food release spray. Place 2c. sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- 3Layer your cooked meatballs into the sauce, evenly.
- 4Pour the remaining sauce over the meatballs.
- 5Layer half the Mozzarella and half the Italian blend cheeses over the meatballs and sauce. Then sprinkle with half the Parmesan.
- 6If using bread slices, brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder if desired. Cut slices into chunks, and distribute over the top of the cheese layer. If using leftover bread/rolls just break into chunks, drizzle with olive oil add a sprinkle of garlic powder, and toss lightly.
- 7Spread remaining cheeses over the bread layer, finishing with the Parmesan. You can garnish with a little dried parsley flakes, if desired.
- 8Bake at 350* for about 40 min., until golden brown and bubbly in the center. Plan a little more time if your meatballs are frozen.
- 9Serve with a nice green salad.
- 10NOTES: This recipe is easy to adjust to the number of servings, and the ingredients on hand. You can throw it together in 10 minutes if you use frozen meatballs, your favorite sauce in a jar, and pre-shredded cheeses.
- 11I made my own sauce (Rustic Marinara Sauce), which makes a double batch. This way I can put half in the frig or freezer for another quick meal later. Same with the meatballs, which allows me to make them without wheat filler.
I also made GF French bread, used one loaf for the onion casserole, and froze the second loaf for this recipe.