Liver, Apples and Onions
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1-1/1/2 cwhole milk - soak 4-6 liver slices a day ahead
1 sticksweet cream butter (unsalted)
2 -3granny smith (or other) peeled, cored and sliced
2sweet onions, peeled and sliced
1 tspnutmeg (fresh is best, but any will do fine)
1 pkgwide egg noodles (cooked according to pkg directions)
2 Tbspsweet cream butter for cooked noodles
How to Make Liver, Apples and Onions
- Soak liver slices with whole milk in covered container and salt lightly. Refrigerate overnite.
- Bring liver sliced to room temp. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions and put in covered container with butter and keep warm. (if you prefer, this dish is good with mashed potatoes instead.)
- Using a large skillet with a lid, melt the sweet (unsalted) butter in skillet. Add the apples and onion and cook on medium heat, until transparent-but do not overcook.
- Add nutmeg and set this aside in a bowl. Drain as much of the butter from this back into the skillet. Disguard the milk from the soaked liver Then add the liver to the medium heated skillet with the butter and then cover the skillet with lid. Keep on a medium -low heat. Cook aprox 5 minutes (or less), Turn the slices of liver over and then return the cooked apple and onion mixture to the top of the liver slices. Cover the skillet again and allow to continue cooking for aprox another 3-5 minutes. Turn OFF heat and allow to sit on the burner, unless your burner is very, very hot, if so, then remove the skillet from the burner but keep covered for a few more minutes.
- Prepare the serving platter with the buttered egg noodles and top them with the Liver slices and then the apples and onions. The liver should be very mild tasting,(due to the overnite milk soak) and the texture should be very tender,(due to the fast but covered, cooking process.