Kale with Chicken and White Beans ala Judy
1 Tbspolive oil
6-8 clovegarlic, sliced
4 thick slicehickory smoked bacon
1 lbchicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cchicken broth, unsalted - i used swansons
To tastesalt and pepper
1 bunchkale, pulled from stems, washed, roughly chopped
1 cbaby carrots, cut to bite size
1 can(s)favorite white beans
6 dash(es)favorite hot sauce (optional - i used tabasco)
How to Make Kale with Chicken and White Beans ala Judy
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot add the olive oil and sauté the diced onions until they are soft, about 3 minutes, over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add sliced garlic and sauté another minute or so, stirring with wooden spoon.
- Remove onion and garlic and set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same pan on medium to medium-high, sauté chicken cubes and bacon, stirring often. When chicken is about done, turn up the heat, and stirring constantly, evaporate the moisture and let the bottom of the pan turn a rich brown color, and then...
- Immediately pour in the broth, remove and discard the bacon, and scrape and stir the bottom of the pan to incorporate the brown bits into the broth.
- Add the carrots, bring to a boil for a couple of minutes, and then add the kale and salt and pepper to taste, then cover for 3 minutes to help the kale wilt.
- Leave on higher heat until kale is nearly wilted, pushing down into the broth with a wooden spoon, and giving it a stir.
- Add a little water, or more broth, if necessary just to half way cover the vegetables. Stir in the drained and rinsed white beans, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes to let the flavors meld. (If you can wait that long!) Enjoy!
- Note: I discarded the bacon because it doesn't get crisp and left it whole because it's easier to remove from the pot. I let the pan bottom get nice and brown, stirring the chicken constantly once the pan dried, and before adding the broth to stop the browning. Hint: To easily remove kale from thick stems, grab bottom of stem with one hand and pull along the length with your other hand!