Frugal Gourmet's Barley & Mushroom Casserole
This casserole can serve as either a side OR main dish; it is filling and satisfying.
Although you probably won't miss the meat, you can add cooked chicken, beef or pork, if desired.
The original recipe is of Scottish origin, and came from a cookbook by the'Frugal Gourmet', Chef Jeff Smith.
- 6 Tbsp
- 2 clove
- garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 - 2
- yellow onions, peeled and minced
- 1 lb
- mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 c
- pearl barley
- 1/2 Tbsp
- dried basil
- 3 c
- chicken stock or broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- chopped fresh parsley
How to Make Frugal Gourmet's Barley & Mushroom Casserole
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Melt the butter in a 2-quart stove-top covered casserole. Add the garlic and onion and saute over moderately low heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and saute over modeerate heat until the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the barley and basil to the mushroom mixture, and toss lightly, then pour in the chicken stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Slowly bring the casserole to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Cover the casserole and bake in the oven until the barley is tender, about 45 to 50 minutes.
Before serving, add the chopped parsley and toss gently. Serve piping hot.