Cornmeal Coated Fried Shrimp
Shrimp was plentiful in our home of 10 people and saved my mother money...imagine that...so we had it often.
One of my favorite ways to have shrimp was simple and delicious and still the way I cook it most of the time.
It may be easy, but the flavor brings back so many memories so it is a comfort food to me.
- 2 lb
- medium shrimp, cleaned and deviened
- 1 c
- yellow cornmeal, i use quaker brand
- 1/2 tsp
- red pepper, more if you like it spicey
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- steak seasoning, i use texjoy
- 2 c
- vegetable cooking oil or other oil for deep frying
How to Make Cornmeal Coated Fried Shrimp
- 1Clean and de-vein shrimp.
Rinse thoroughly and leave shrimp in clean water, you want the shrimp to be wet when dredging in cornmeal.
In a small bowl mix cornmeal and seasonings well.
- 2Heat cooking oil until hot enough for deep frying. Approximately 325 degrees. If you get the oil too hot, it will make the fried shrimp a darker color.
- 3Dip shrimp into cornmeal mixture and drop into hot oil to cook. Fry for approximately 5 minutes or until a light golden brown.
Serve hot with ketchup, cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.