Corned Beef and Veggies
2cuts of corned beef
1 bunchbeets if available, or use frozen from the garden
6 largered/gold potatoes
1 largesweet onion
·additional herbs and spices as you like
How to Make Corned Beef and Veggies
- Open the packages of Corned Beef, rinse off brine and place in a slow cooker. Cover with water by 2" and dump in seasoning packets. I like to add extra Thyme, Peppercorns, granulated garlic and onion powder. Heat it up on high and then turn to low for the night.
- Cut up your veggies. I keep the peels on the potatoes and quarter them. Peel and leave the carrots long. Peel and chunk up the parsnips, peel and cut the turnips in 2" chunks. I usually use baby beets I have frozen from the garden. Otherwise you will need to cook, cool and peel fresh ones. Cut if they are large. Quarter 1/2 of a large head of cabbage.
- Put carrots, onions and potatoes into the broth in the crock. Cook until they begin to soften (about an hour on high) then add the parsnips and turnips and fresh beets.
- For this batch I used frozen beets. I added some of the broth from the SC and heated them in the microwave. I thought they had better flavor this way too.
- I reserve the extra cut of beef to make Red Flannel Hash in the next week! I also take a few of each of the veggies out before serving, otherwise there are never enough left overs to make the hash.