Butternut Squash Spinach & Goat cheese Pizza
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 ccubed butternut squash
1 Tbsp+ 1 tsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tspfresh ground pepper
1 mediumred or sweet white onion halved and thinly sliced
1/4 call-purpose flour
1ball store bought whole-wheat pizza dough room temp
2 cfresh chopped baby spinach
8 ozcrumbled goat cheese (orig recipe calls for 4 oz but that simply is not enough for me)
1/2 tspdried thyme
How to Make Butternut Squash Spinach & Goat cheese Pizza
- Heat oven 400 degrees
- Toss squash with 1 tsp oil, salt and pepper. On a baking sheet, cook squash until soft and lightly browned (15 - 25 mins--depending on your oven, mine runs very hot )stirring halfway through. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over med-high heat add remaining oil. Cook onion (add 1/4 tsp salt), stirring until LIGHT brown. Add 2 Tablespoons of water, cook stirring until GOLDEN ( 5 mins).Remove from heat
- Turn oven up to 450(once squash is cooked of course). Sprinkle flour on flat surface and press dough into a 15 inch circle or 10" x 16" in rectangle(I use a rolling pin). Top with squash, onion, spinach, cheese and thyme.
- Dust a pizza stone or inverted cookie sheet /w/ cornmeal; place pizza on it. Bake until crust is crispy and cheese melts. Depending on your oven this should take anywhere from 8 - 12 minutes.
- THIS IS JUST A TIP--when I use dried herbs such as the thyme in this recipe...rub the thyme well with your finger tips. This releases the natural oils in the herb/spice and brings out the flavor!