Butternut Squash Spinach & Goat cheese Pizza
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- cubed butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp
- + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium
- red or sweet white onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c
- all-purpose flour
- ball store bought whole-wheat pizza dough room temp
- 2 c
- fresh chopped baby spinach
- 8 oz
- crumbled goat cheese (orig recipe calls for 4 oz but that simply is not enough for me)
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Butternut Squash Spinach & Goat cheese Pizza
- 1Heat oven 400 degrees
- 2Toss squash with 1 tsp oil, salt and pepper. On a baking sheet, cook squash until soft and lightly browned (15 - 25 mins--depending on your oven, mine runs very hot )stirring halfway through. Set aside.
- 3In a large skillet over med-high heat add remaining oil. Cook onion (add 1/4 tsp salt), stirring until LIGHT brown. Add 2 Tablespoons of water, cook stirring until GOLDEN ( 5 mins).Remove from heat
- 4Turn oven up to 450(once squash is cooked of course). Sprinkle flour on flat surface and press dough into a 15 inch circle or 10" x 16" in rectangle(I use a rolling pin). Top with squash, onion, spinach, cheese and thyme.
- 5Dust a pizza stone or inverted cookie sheet /w/ cornmeal; place pizza on it. Bake until crust is crispy and cheese melts. Depending on your oven this should take anywhere from 8 - 12 minutes.
- 6THIS IS JUST A TIP--when I use dried herbs such as the thyme in this recipe...rub the thyme well with your finger tips. This releases the natural oils in the herb/spice and brings out the flavor!