Bulgur Fried Rice Style
- 1 c
- bulgur wheat, uncooked
- 2 c
- boiling water
- 1-2 Tbsp
- cooking oil, as needed (olive, canola, etc.)
- 2 large
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium
- shallot, finely chopped
- 1-2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 bag(s)
- frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed
- 6 oz
- cooked meat or fish, in small pieces. chicken, pork or shrimp are welcome additions.
- abt. 2 Tbsp
- sesame oil
- abt. 1 Tbsp
- fish sauce (nam pla, nuoc nam) or other salty condiment
- abt. 1 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp
- chinese five-spice powder or other spice (optional)
- 1/2 c
- fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
How to Make Bulgur Fried Rice Style
- 1About 1 hour before the other steps, pour the boiling water over the bulgur and allow the grain to swell and soften, soaking up almost all the water. You can speed this up by reheating or by cooking according to package directions.
- 2Lightly oil, if necessary, a large, stick-free covered saute pan. Heat to medium. Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the pan and swirl to make a thin layer of egg. Cook the egg until dry, scraping and flipping as necessary but not really scrambling. Ideally, you want a thin sheet of cooked egg but just get as close as you can.
- 3Wipe any remaining egg out of the pan and raise the heat a bit. Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the shallot and garlic briefly.
- 4Drain the thawed vegetables if very wet. Add to the pan and saute until heated through and any hard vegetables, like carrots start to soften. Cover as needed to steam the vegetables but boil off excess water.
- 5Optionally, stir in any meat or seafood and heat through.
- 6Optionally, add a bit of Chinese Five-Spice or other spice to taste.
- 7Stir in the softened bulgur and heat through. While heating, stir in the sesame oil, fish sauce, and soy sauce, adjusting the amounts of each to taste.
- 8Cut the cooked egg into ribbons or small pieces. Stir into bulgur and veggie mixture.
- 9Optionally, stir in or garnish with cilantro leaves.
- 10Serve hot.