Blue Corn Tortillas
These tortillas have such a nice colour and flavour. I made my own flour by grinding some Hopi corn we grew in our organic garden.
I'm going to serve them with shredded goat cheese, chicken and tomatoes. Yum!
How to Make Blue Corn Tortillas
- If you have a cast iron skillet heat it up on medium heat. I used my tortilla grill. I also used my tortilla press, but you can roll the tortillas out into 7-8" rounds if you like.
- Place the cornmeal in a bowl and pour the hot water over it. Stir, mix well and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Then, mix in 1/4 cup of all purpose flour into the dough. Knead 2-3 minutes. If necessary use a little more flour. You want a softish type of dough. Return the dough to the bowl and cover and leave set for 1/2 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Make into 8 balls and press one ball on the tortilla press. If using your hands flour them and press one dough ball into a patty to about 7-8" around, or you can also make a patty and roll it out with a rolling pin, that's easier. Make sure it's even all around.
- Cook each tortilla for 1 minute on each side. They will be flecked with brown on both sides.
- When cooked remove, wrap in a towel in a little pile. Serve warm with your favourite fillings.